Safeguarding/Child Protection at St Mary Queen of Martyrs VC Academy
Designated Safeguarding Lead: Miss E Smith
Deputy Safeguarding Leads: Mrs C Coldham and Mrs T Laws
The Trust Directors with responsibility for Safeguarding are:
- Michael Gallagher
- James Sargeant
Responsible for CLA (Children Looked After) is Mr Evans.
Safeguarding our children:
We take very seriously our responsibility to safeguard both children and adults. St Mary Queen of Martyrs operates a rigorous and robust recruitment process that gathers evidence about candidates’ suitability to work with children as well as their suitability for the post at all stages in the recruitment process. High levels of vigilance are maintained through rigorous monitoring post appointment.
There is unwavering commitment to ensure all pupils are safe, cared for and looked after. Training and development on safeguarding is under constant review and safeguarding procedures are regularly reviewed by a highly experienced Safeguarding Officer who works within the Academy.
Our commitment to our children’s health, safety and welfare is embedded in everyday practice at our school and is exemplified in policies, procedures and processes, including those which address inappropriate behaviour.
Our policies will:
- keep children safe by clarifying which behaviours constitute safe practice and which behaviours should be avoided;
- assist adults working with children to work safely and responsibly and to monitor their own standards and practice;
- support the school in giving a clear message that unlawful or unsafe behaviour is unacceptable and that, where appropriate, disciplinary or legal action will be taken;
- minimise the risk of misplaced or malicious allegations made against adults who work with children and young people;
- Safeguard against the incidence of positions of trust being abused or misused.
We are an Operation Encompass school. Operation Encompass is a police and education early intervention safeguarding partnership which supports children and young people exposed to domestic abuse.
For more information please see: - http://www.operationencompass.org/
If you have any concerns:
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children, their families and carers have a role to play in safeguarding children.
If you have any concerns about the health, safety, wellbeing of a child at the academy, or feel that something may be troubling them, you should share this information with one of our Safeguarding Team below.
This may be done verbally in the first instance but always be followed up by completing a cause for concern form, available from the Designated Safeguarding Team.
In the unlikely event of the Designated Safeguarding Officer not being available, the matter should be reported directly to the Local Authority Early Help and Safeguarding Hub 01482 448879 or Police/ Family Protection Unit.
Out of school hours and during school holidays:
- If your concern is urgent and there is an immediate risk of harm, then contact the police.
- If your concern is less urgent but you are worried about the welfare of the child, then contact the Early Help and Safeguarding Hub on 01482 448879 or the out of hours Emergency Duty Team on 01482 300304.
The school adheres to the Hull Safeguarding Children’s Partnership Child Protection guidelines. A copy if available from the designated safeguarding team.
We are an Operation Encompass school.
Operation Encompass is a unique Police and Education early intervention safeguarding partnership which supports children and young people exposed to domestic abuse.
Our Safeguarding team: